Welcome.

Elephant Cove, Denmark, Western Australia.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

To Fridge Or Not To Fridge?

Having a *discussion* at the moment with Hubby on to fridge or not to fridge.  Do we need one on our camping forays?  I say no, he says yes. 
My thoughts are...we will only be going away for maybe 3 or 4 nights.  Won't be going in the middle of summer.  Take an esky and bottles of frozen water as ice.  Plan meals that don't need refridgeration   If we freeze a meal or two it should still be OK by the third night. .

He asks how I intend keeping bread, cheese, meat, fruit and veg fresh. 

Well, I don't know.  It is something that I now need to think about.  I can go without bread and cheese and I'm sure some fruit and veg would be OK for a couple of days.  After that just eat tinned tuna and pasta. 
I don't like cold drinks so don't need to worry about the water staying cool but if he comes along as well he will want cold drinks.
We have a few eskys but I don't know how good they are.  We are going away  for a couple of days in a week or two so will test one out then.
We have been given a small car fridge but I don't think we have used it yet.  We will need to try this and see if it works and is suitable.

If we are bush camping the only power would come from the car and I would worry that the fridge would drain the car battery.  Not a problem if we are using his car, dual bateries in that, but when I get my van and go off by myself  I don't want any unnecessary worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment