A long time ago, like nearly 10 years ago, I bought some material to make curtains for a daughters bedroom...well I never got around to doing that (sorry L.), a couple of years ago I rescued this material from another daughter (bad T,) trying to dump it and kept it here in a bag under my bed until a few weeks ago. I love the material, red with silver stars and I knew I needed it and would use it. Sometime.
The time came this week when I spread it out on the shed floor, measured the windows, spent a couple of coffees time thinking about how to make these curtains and finally just did them. They are not *proper* curtains, they were gonna be too complicated and I am not a sewer so I measured from top to bottom, doubled it over, sewed together and threaded through some elastic wire that I have hooked into the van.
|Looking inside from the back door.|
|View from outside.|
The double material is better as the material is thinnish and as a singe layer could be seen though from outside. By doubling it over it adds privacy, keeps out a bit more sun and was easy to do.
I have also been needing to make some bug screens for the front windows and last night I finally got around to doing those. I spend more time worrying about how do to something *right* than just doing it and getting something up...
I was looking at something called "window sox" that kept out the sun and the bugs but they were more than $50 each, for ones to fit smaller windows but I liked the idea...and a few years ago we bought some old curtains from an op-shop to use in a trucks windows to keep out mozzies...so...the idea was planted.
A while ago I measured the windows, up and over then around the door...but the door was an angle, a lot narrower at the top than down lower and how far did I need to come down anyway and it all seemed too complicated so the making was put off for a couple of weeks...
Yesterday, I had the old net curtains out , the machine was still out...I measured again, up and over and around. Folded the netting over at 27 inches and cut it the length of the curtain. Which was a few inches longer than I needed for both but I was not bothering anymore and it would just mean that it would be a looser fit and I just wanted it done. Cut that down the middle, sewed the edges of them both, hemmed them then threaded elastic through the bottom and I have 2 net screens for the front windows that stay on when the door is opened. I like them.
|Door is open.|
|Drivers door, shut.|
They are not as neat looking as the bought ones and wont keep the sun out but they will do the job. This corner piece is what I was worried about , that it might *ruin* the whole thing. It doesn't. They work good, look OK but most important...They are done!!
Why do I waste so much time worrying instead of just getting in and doing...sigh...