Elephant Cove, Denmark, Western Australia.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Nanga Mill Camping.

We had a lovely time up at Nanga Mill in the Lane Poole Reserve though not as good as it could have been due to my *not understanding* what I am told.

Daughter said to me a couple of times that the area that they were going to was for tents and that they walked in from a car parking area and that I needed to put a tent into the van...I heard her say all this but for some reason still thought that we'd be camping out of the van...Idiot!

It wasn't too big of a problem though as we hung around their camp area, sat around their fire...but at 7.30pm when it was our time for bed we went back to the van and slept in that in the carpark.  No big deal.  I am going to put a small tent into the van though just in case there is a next time.  In this area most of the really nice camping spots close to the water were only tent sites.  Looking at some of them and going by the one that we were at, it all looked like a massive undertaking to get tents and all the gear from the car to the site though...a lot more of an effort than we want.  My little van is little, smaller than the tent that these people had,  but when used in the right area everything is with us and there isn't much carrying and setting up needed and that's what we like.

This morning I walked along the road running along Nanga Mill camping area, it was early, I only saw one other person but there were more than a dozen kangaroos around the camps.  It was great to see them all so close to the vehicles and I wondered why people wouldn't get up early so they could sit and watch these animals while they, the people! had their morning coffee.  It does always amaze me though how people can sleep for so long when they are out in the bush when there are so many birds and animals to see and walks to do...

Husband went fishing this morning.  We walked up towards Stringers which isn't far from where we were camped, we followed the path along the river, and picked a likely looking spot to try, no luck there though so we moved further along to a set of wooden steps going into the river.  He had a few bites, we were after Redfin, he managed to catch a cobbler.  Still good eating. 

 I decided that I'd do the right Chuditch Trail this time so after breakfast Husband and I set off.   As I was sitting around the fire pit with 6 other adults this morning I issued them all an invitation to join me in this walk.  Told them that it was only 4km, took, according to the sign that couldn't possibly be right, a couple of hours...No-one was interested.  Now I'd already walked a couple of k's earlier while waiting for husband to wake up and a bit more with the grandkid after that and I am fat and unfit but was ready for more so I was disappointed that no-one else thought it was a good idea.  Husband was kind enough to come with me so I thank him for that.  He is not a walker but the lovely man came because he knew I'd rather not go alone.

There are many nice walks in this reserve and I know I say it every time after I go up to Lane Poole but I am going to make an effort to get a few more in before the end of the year.   It's so close to home there is no reason that I couldn't go up every month at least and get some decent walks in.

Nanga Town camping area was deserted on the Friday when we left.  I was actually surprised that there were not more campers in any of the areas that we passed.  There were a couple of tents there on Thursday morning when we passed by though. Because we went in through the bottom gate on Nanga Road I don't know if other areas were busy or not.

Camping fees apply in Lane Poole but we didn't see anyone collecting them yesterday.  We didn't go through the main gate, instead used the bottom gate off Nanga Road but thought there would be rangers going around to collect payment.  According to others this doesn't happen very often though. 


  1. What a lovely camping you've had. How I wish I could go there too, someday.

    1. Yes Emilia, It's a lovely spot to camp or walk..