Welcome.

Elephant Cove, Denmark, Western Australia.

Friday, April 8, 2022

Happy Birthday To Me.

Wednesday 30th March 2022.  It's my birthday today and a few weeks ago I decided that I was old enough to go camping by myself.      This has been a few years coming though, I have wanted to but have always sooked out and not done it.  So this year I was definitely going to.  And I did.  

I wanted to see the stingrays, go into Augusta, climb the lighthouse, see where the two oceans meet.

The stingrays were there in Hamlin Bay, 3 big ones coming right up to the shoreline.  I didn't get pictures this time, didn't even go in the water near them this time, but I saw them.



Up in time to go watch the sunrise.  I took a coffee down to the beach but I need a better insulated mug as the one I had here didn't keep the coffee anywhere near hot enough and it was only a half hour or so since it was made!





After breakfast I drove into Augusta, drove through to Cape Leeuwin where the lighthouse is only to be greeted with this big sign.  I didn't know whether to be disappointed or relieved.  It took a bit of talking to myself to decide to climb it, but I am fat and unfit and there would have been a lot of steps going up...  




There is a cost to enter this area, on this day it cost me $5.  There are buildings and information on how things were back in the day when the lighthouse keepers lived here, lots about how they lived and buildings where they lived.  I found it all very interesting.  









House where a Lightkeeper lived.  It has lots of interesting information inside.  














That's the lighthouse, surrounded by scaffolding so if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't know it was there.

It's not looking like a lighthouse but next time I come down here it will be finished and able to be seen in all it's renovated glory. 

Will I climb it then, hmm, we'll see.







This is the Old waterwheel  just down the road before the lighthouse area.   There were so many cars and people in the area when I was there it was hard to get a picture with no-one in it.  Well worth a visit and a paddle on a hot day. 

After stopping here and having a walk around I drove back into Augusta with the intention of having fish and chips near the water.  That didn't happen though, I need to remember not to have breakfast if I want lunch out somewhere.  Instead I went to IGA to buy a cake, it was my birthday after all.
Instead of cake I bought this cheesecake, and had that instead.  





Cheesecake and orange juice for lunch and tea.  Had some of the melted leftovers for breakfast!  Too much cheesecake for one person but will get one again to share with people as it was so nice.


A walk down to the beach to watch the sunset before calling an end to a nice relaxing day.  
It really was a Happy Birthday To Me.






No comments:

Post a Comment