Welcome.

Elephant Cove, Denmark, Western Australia.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

What Worked For Two.

I was asked how the van work for 2 people so thought I'd write it down as I think about it.

It worked good, as I knew it would.  But I was a bit surprised that Hubby had thrown his work bag in to take and when I asked why he said because it had everything he would need in it.  What!!  "My van has anything you might need Mister!"  Now we're talking a big bag here, one that we had to keep moving out of the way...
IT IS NOT COMING NEXT TIME. 
Because anything we might need is already in the van!

So how did things go...
The Bed.
He made this to be used as a single but to be able to be pulled out and used for two.  It was easy enough to pull out and push back in even when we were both in the van with the doors shut.  After the first night he didn't want to put it back as a single but the second morning after sleeping in it I said I would.  He seemed a bit surprised at how easy it was   We swapped sides after the first night as he is taller than me and needed more leg room and him being in the centre of the van stopped his feet touching the toilet but I could still get in and out easily.

The Toilet. 
We still took this but I *knew* I wasn't going to be using it when he was in the the van with me.  I mean, who does that!  Lots of people apparently but not this little black duck.
Because we did have more stuff with the 2 of us it also wasn't as easy to put up the privacy curtain so duing the day it was easier to call into public loos along the way and at night it was less stressful to get out of the warm safe van into the cold dark night to pee. 
It was used sometimes though as the composting toilet at the campground left a bit to be desired.   I just asked him to go and check out the beach conditions and he wandered off for a smoke.

Toilet Bag.
This is the bag that I made to hide/carry the toilet.  It worked great when we had to get to the car battery as it was just a matter of lifting it up and out then back in again.  And pulled up you couldn't see that there was a toilet there at all. 

Cooking.
We planned to do coffee and cook meals outside the van but on a couple of occasions when it was raining we did need to use the stove in the van.  With the bed as a single there was plenty of room to pull the little side table down to sit the stove on and with the window open a little bit it was (I hope!) safe enough.  We just sat on the bed to eat.

Table.
I have seen the table that I want to get but when I went to buy one the shop didn't have any so that was going to be a problem.  Luckily we found one at the campground that had been left behind.  With 2 people the little table that I have out the back of the van is not good enough.  I need to get a proper one before we go away again.

Lights.
I have a solar light set up near the front of the van, it can be reached from the front and the back and work really well but is not bright enough to read by.  Hubby has put a battery in the back of the van and given me a 12vold light with a long cord.  This can be used in or out of the van and is bright enough to read by.  The battery it is connected to is charged by a small solar panel 

Mechanical.
The van runs well and we had no trouble at all with it.  Except after rough corrugated roads when the battery connections came loose.  The first time I hear that ominous *click* we were out the middle of nowhere with no Mobile phone reception and not many cars.  If I was by myself it would have taken a coffee and some thinking about what to do. Hubby just *hummffed*  pulled out the esky, lifted out the loo (in it's great little bag!) and pushed the connection back in place.  This happened a couple more times before he tried banging the box under the car and had the connection connect that way.  Easier than pulling stuff out even though that wasn't hard.  He is going to have a look at it when he has time and see if it needs tightening or a new wire or what.  In the meantime I will keep away from rough corrugated roads but if I do shake it loose it is something that I can fix.

Security.
Had the husband so I wasn't scared at all.



I will come back and update this as I think of things but there I don't think there was anything that didn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment